Skip to Content
  • FAQs

You may have some questions when considering transferring to RWU.

We have compiled a list of questions we frequently hear regarding the process of transferring and have provided some information we think will be helpful. If you do not find the answer you need, or don't see your question here, please contact us by phone at 1.800.458.7144 ext. 3500 or by email at

Applying for Admission

Scholarships and Financial Aid

Transfer of Credit and Degree Requirements

After the Offer of Admission

Students must submit a completed Common Application with the application fee of $50.00, the application essay, transcripts from all colleges attended, high school transcript, and one (optional) letter of recommendation.

Transcripts should be mailed directly from the registrar (for college transcripts) or guidance office (for high school students) to the Office of Transfer Admission at Roger Williams University. Students applying to Architecture, Visual Arts Studies, Elementary or Secondary Education, Graphic Design and Creative Writing majors must submit a portfolio. Students applying for admission to the Dance Performance Studies major must audition. (See Program-Specific Application Instructions for more information.)

The information on this webpage pertains to full-time, day-student enrollment. If you are interested in part-time enrollment, please visit the site of our University's School of Continuing Studies or call (401) 276-4800.

No, there is no minimum credit requirement to be considered as a transfer applicant. If you have completed at least one course after graduating from high school, you must apply as a transfer.

Students are required to provide transcripts from every college attended. Once a student has enrolled at a college or university (after graduating from high school), he or she is classified as a transfer applicant. Being a transfer applicant simply indicates that you are not enrolling at Roger Williams University as your first college or university.

In short, to be reviewed for admission, one cannot start fresh; however, transfer students do not transfer grades. Thus, the GPA starts fresh.

If you are applying for enrollment in the Fall (September) semester, it is required that you apply by April 15. If you are applying for enrollment in the Spring (January) semester, it is required that you apply by November 1. After November 1 and April 15, applications may be accepted; however, they will be reviewed according to space and scholarship availability.

We do not require or offer interviews for admission to the University; however, if you would like to talk with someone about the University or specific concerns you may have regarding transferring, we can arrange for a meeting. Please call or e-mail our office to make an appointment. Students are encouraged to visit the University either by attending our events or by signing up for a tour.

Letters of recommendation are not required of transfer students, unless specifically requested. Sending a letter of recommendation is optional for transfers, but some students may be asked to submit one or more. We do require an essay of 250-500 words.

We generally look for a GPA of 2.5 or higher depending on the type and number of courses taken. (The average GPA of incoming transfer students is approximately 3.1.) If a student has attended more than one college, all transcripts will be factored into the decision. We will also consider the high school record of students who do not hold an associate degree or higher.

 All applicants are required to submit high school transcript.

Typically, students receive notification within three weeks of the date the application is complete (all transcripts and support materials have been received). If you know your application has been complete for more than three weeks and have not received notification, you may contact our office at to check the status. Students are required to submit updated credentials when they become available. Even if an admission decision has not yet been made when new grades become available, your final transcript must be sent to RWU.

Please contact the University whenever you feel an inordinate length of time has passed without receiving communication. If you haven't heard from us, it may be because we may have incorrect contact information on file, or we may be awaiting updated information, which you are required to submit.

We may hold your file to be reviewed after updated transcripts are received. Finally, after an extensive period of inactivity (lack of response) relating to your file, we may withdraw your application, which may easily be reinstated upon your request.

If you had applied for admission within the last year, you may re-apply by requesting that your file be reactivated; at the point of reactivation you may opt for your standardized test scores not to be considered as part of your application for admission - with the exception of applicants to the programs of Elementary and Secondary Education. The Office of Undergraduate Admission keeps all applications and credentials on file for one year. If it has been more than one year since you last applied for admission, you will need to submit a new Application for Undergraduate Admission, as well as all supporting documents, including your final high school transcripts.

The following dates apply for Fall and Spring enrollment: The CSS Profile (Institutional Aid) should be filed by January 1. The FAFSA (Federal & State Aid) should be filed by February 1.

No, you need not have been offered admission to apply for federal and state financial aid. In fact, the processes of applying for admission and applying for financial aid overlap and can take place simultaneously. Because the deadline for financial aid precedes our suggested application-filing dates, it is more likely that one will apply for financial aid before applying for admission. However, financial aid award letters from Roger Williams University are given only to students who have been offered admission.

All transfer applicants are considered for Transfer Merit Scholarships as part of the application review process. There is not a separate application for merit scholarships. However, if you wish to apply for the Honors Program, a separate application is required.

You should receive your award letter shortly after being offered admission -- or after the first mailing of award letters (typically in March).

We award scholarships to students who either hold an associate degree (where required) at the time of applying or to students whose transcripts indicate progress sufficient to complete a degree before enrolling. If a student is expected to earn a degree, we will award it based on that expectation.

Tuition and Fees for the current school year are listed on our website and in virtually every admission publication we have. For most students, the actual cost of attendance is lower than the published Tuition and Fees; Financial Aid and merit scholarships can reduce the overall costs.

When possible, we try to provide students with credit evaluations within three weeks of mailing the offer of admission. We recommend that you provide the University with course descriptions, particularly if you are transferring from a four-year college. These course descriptions are used to evaluate the courses for possible transfer credit; evaluation of transfer credit occurs after the offer of admission has been made.

This is a brief and concise explanation of the Core Curriculum. The Core is explained more thoroughly at many of our on-campus events, including Orientation. Our Core consists of four components: Skills Courses, Interdisciplinary Core, Core Concentration and Senior Seminar. Students may transfer courses (if determined to be equivalent) to meet the requirements of the Skills Courses: Expository Writing; Math in the Modern World (your major may require a different math); and one of the Critical Writing offerings.

Students may not transfer courses to meet requirements of the Interdisciplinary Core, but one to all five of these courses may be waived based on the total numbers of credits you bring to the University. (Please refer to Core Curriculum for Transfers for a complete listing.) Students may transfer courses (if determined to be equivalent) to meet some of the requirements of the Core Concentration. All students must complete the Senior Seminar at Roger Williams University. Some majors also require Introduction to Speech Communication.

You can choose your classes at transfer student Orientation, which is required before registering for classes for the first time.

Transfer applicants are required to submit course descriptions for all courses they have taken at any college/university. These course descriptions are used to evaluate the courses for possible transfer credit; evaluation of transfer credit occurs after the offer of admission has been made.

The preferable formats for the submission of course descriptions as follows: they may be photocopied from a course catalog or other resource, copied from another document and pasted into a Word file, or the complete syllabus of the course may be sent. Please remember, the more detailed the description is, the better we will be able to understand the course content. If using one of the previously mentioned methods of submitting course descriptions is not possible, you may submit the complete course catalog.

Tuition and housing deposits are refundable up to May 1 for Fall Enrollment and December 1 for Spring Enrollment. Requests for a refund must be made in writing to the Office of Undergraduate Admission, and must be postmarked by May 1 or December 1, respectively. Tuition and housing deposits submitted after May 1 or December 1 are not refundable.

A student may defer, or postpone, admission to Roger Williams University, but the student may only defer once. Students may defer only if an offer of admission has been made and a tuition deposit has been submitted. Request for deferrals must be made in writing no later than August 25 for Fall and January 15 for Spring. The letter of request (or e-mail) must include an explanation of why the request is being made, the student's name, social security number, new intended start term, and must be accompanied by a $200 tuition deposit (if not already submitted).